Two-Unit Dwellings

Subject to zoning requirements and restrictions, second units are permitted in detached, semi-detached and townhouse dwellings in Brampton. In order to be legal, a building permit is required and the property must be registered with the City of Brampton.

A second unit is a self-contained residential unit located within a house.  The unit may be in any part of the house, including the basement.  Second units provide an affordable housing option for many people in Brampton. These policies are intended to make units safe, legal and livable.

Two-Unit Dwelling Registration Process