Note: The re-establishment of this citizen-based advisory committee is pending further consideration by City Council for the 2022-2026 term of Council.
Committee Objectives and Responsibilities:
The Brampton School Traffic Safety Council shall consider matters which relate directly to school safety concerns and pedestrian education. The objectives and responsibilities of this Committee are:
1. To consider student pedestrian/traffic safety matters at and around elementary and secondary schools and to educate the school community on these matters.
2. To consider and advise upon matters relating to school route, school bus and bicycle safety.
3. To develop, implement and assist with programs conducted both in and outside the schools promoting safety awareness, pedestrian education and bicycle safety
4. To review existing and prospective new adult school guard stations, employing approved warrant criteria and recommend additions or deletions to system as required.
5. To report on and refer to appropriate City and Regional departments, School Boards, Police Divisions, etc. any other matters related to school safety requiring the application of engineering standards and warrants, specialized expertise or enforcement.
Citizen members are required to be available to conduct approximately three site inspections per month, in the vicinity of schools, at morning arrival and afternoon dismissal times to observe matters related to student safety (traffic volume/ congestion, recommended walking routes, school bus issues, crossing guard locations, Kiss and Ride operations). These site inspections must be submitted in writing to the Legislative Coordinator, once the inspection is completed.
Citizen members also are required to provide two to three days on-site training at schools, during initial start of a Kiss and Ride operation.
No fewer than seven and no more than ten citizen members.
One Member of Council.
One representative from each of the following:
1. Peel Regional Police Regional Traffic Unit;
2. City of Brampton Traffic Engineering Services;
3. Student Transportation Office, Peel District School Board/Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board; (STOPR)
4. Brampton Fire and Emergency Services;
5. Enforcement and By-law Services Division.
Current Members (2018-2022 term):
City Councillor Charmaine Williams
Trustee Kathy McDonald, Peel District School Board
Trustee Darryl D'Souza, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
Central Planning & Operations Officer, Student Transportation of Peel Region
Fire Prevention, Fire and Emergency Services
Manager of Traffic Engineering Services, Public Works & Engineering
East Planning and Operations Officer, Student Transportation of Peel Region
Regional Divisional Traffic Unit, Peel Regional Police
Enforcement Supervisor, Enforcement & By-law Services, Corporate Services
Crossing Guard Supervisor, Public Works & Engineering
Manager of Maintenance Services, Peel District School Board
Term of Office:
Concurrent with the term of Council, ending November 14, 2022, or until successors are appointed.
First Thursday of each month (excluding July and August, which will be “at the call of the Chair” if required) at 9:30 a.m. at City Hall.
Committee of Council
City Clerk's Office
- Reimbursement for any expenses incurred
- Mileage is paid at the City of Brampton corporate rate when the members are required to travel on Committee business
Chandra Urquhart, Legislative Co-ordinator