Since 1974, the City of Brampton has been proud to offer a community recognition program that has honoured over 3,500 outstanding residents in the community in the areas of sports, arts, and community service.
Each year, the City of Brampton recognizes and celebrates outstanding citizens in our community who have achieved milestones in the past year, in the following categories:
- The Sports Achievement Award recognizes Brampton residents whose achievements have been recognized at the Provincial, National or International level.
- The Ken Giles Amateur Athlete of the Year Award recognizes an outstanding individual who has made a significant impact and/or exceptional achievement at the amateur level of their respective sport.
- The Arts Acclaim Award recognizes individuals whose contribution has had a significant impact in terms of achieving local, Provincial, National or International acclaim.
- The Long Term Service Award recognizes dedicated volunteers whose efforts have made a significant impact towards the development and advancement of recreational sports, the arts and community social services.
- The Inspirational Award recognizes Brampton residents who advocate or practice humane action, or who have had an inspirational influence on others.
- The Emergency Services Award of Valour recognizes an individual or individuals, who voluntarily risked their own life/lives while performing a heroic act to save the life of another person.
- The Citizens of the Year Awards are given to individuals who have demonstrated all-round community involvement rather than specific activity or contribution. This award recognizes local residents who build communities and show what can be achieved with passion and determination. The Citizen of the Year Award is presented to a youth, adult and senior citizen.
A Selection Committee comprised of community members with subject matter expertise in award categories, along with elected City Officials, Brampton Fire and Emergency Services, Bram
pton Sports Alliance, the Brampton Seniors Council and Peel Regional Police.