PIXEL: Brampton Reverb Showcase 2023
Project: PIXEL Digital Screen Showcase in Garden Square
Showcase Title: Brampton Reverb
Fee Paid to Artist: $300 CAD
Number of Artists Selected: 20
Submission Deadline: December 12, 2022
Have your music featured on the screen in Garden Square this winter as a part of the showcase, PIXEL: Brampton Reverb! The Brampton Arts Organization (BAO) and Garden Square Brampton are thrilled to offer the unique opportunity for 20 local artists, bands, collectives, or studios to have their work featured on 24’ LED screen in Garden Square for select weeks this winter from January-March, 2023.
Every two weeks, a selection of four local musicians, bands, collectives, or studios will have their work featured daily with content running continuously from 12-12:30pm and 7-7:30pm, with additional features across Garden Square, BAO, City social media channels. Timing is subject to change.
- Original music is strongly preferred, although we will also consider artists performing covers with proof of proper permissions/license to be included with the submission.
- Solo artists, duos and full bands are all eligible including studios and collectives.
- All genres are welcome including but not limited to: acoustic, alternative, bluegrass, blues, classical, country, electronic, experimental, folk, funk, hip hop, jazz, pop, reggae, rock, R&B, singer-songwriter, soul, world – including music sung in languages other than English.
- Artists selected for this showcase must also adopt the City of Brampton’s Public Spaces Programming Guidelines. Content should be both suitable and relevant for presentation on an urban screen as it is located within a highly visible public space that is accessible to people of all ages and backgrounds. Content with explicit use of alcohol, smoking, illegal drugs, horror, offensive language, nudity, explicit sexual activity and/or violence will not be considered appropriate.
Artists selected for this opportunity will be paid a one-time Artist Fee of $300.00+ HST Canadian Dollars (if HST is applicable). This Artist Fee includes any necessary costs or materials, and no further compensation will be made to the artist for costs associated with participating in the project. Participation in the Pixel Exhibit 2023 will require Artists to do the following:
- Have your work presented on the Garden Square LED screen for a period of 2 weeks and featured across the social media and websites of Garden Square Brampton, ACCIDA, and the City.
- Promote your participation in the exhibition online and on social media, tagging @gardensquarebrampton @accidabrampton and #PIXELGardenSquare on each post related to the project.
Selection Process and Criteria
This Call for Artists welcomes applications on an ongoing basis until November 24, 2022. Submissions will be evaluated by BAO staff and local artists (the “Selection Panel”) according to the following criteria:
- The artwork’s suitability to the presentation method and eligibility criteria as outlined above.
- Priority is given to artists residing in Brampton however consideration will also be given to artists outside of Brampton whose work has been influenced by Brampton and their connection to the city.
- The Selection Panel will prioritize applicants who self-identify as belonging to one (or more) of the following groups or intersecting marginalized identities: Indigenous, Persons of Colour, Deaf Persons, Persons with Disabilities, Newcomers and Persons Living with Mental Illness, 2SLGBTQIAP. We strongly encourage applications from these communities and will endeavour to accommodate applicants with a disability during our process per the Ontario Human Rights Code guidelines and other applicable legislation.
The Corporation of the City of Brampton (the “City”) reserves the right to select and retain the artist(s) deemed most appropriate for the project at its sole discretion. The City, at its sole discretion, may request clarifications or request additional information, as deemed necessary to evaluate the submissions. The City reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to determine the number of pre-qualified Artists or Artist Teams. The City reserves the right to not proceed with awarding an honorarium.
The selection committee will be comprised of: a representative from BAO, a representative from Performing Arts, and representatives from the local arts community.
- Video submissions can be new or recent original work and include any genre in a digital format according to the specifications detailed below.
- Artists may submit up to 2 videos for consideration but will not be selected more than once.
- Final video specifications:
- The Garden Square screen is 14.4’ x 24’ (4.4m x 7.3m). All aspect ratios are supported, but may not fit the screen exactly. The screen is low resolution; content will be scaled to fit. All content submitted must follow these specifications:
- Minimum resolution: 1280 pixels long x 720 pixels high
- Static images: JPG format
- Video files: MP4 format (upon acceptance)
- Avoid content with small text; it will not be legible on the screen (no less than 30pt font)
- Videos must be no longer than 5 minutes in duration
- For the selection panel process files must be sent as Youtube, Google Drive, or Vimeo links.
- Should your submission be selected you will need to provide mp4 files via a file sharing service such as Dropbox, Vimeo, Google Drive, or WeTransfer – YouTube Links will not be accepted.
- PSAs or advertising materials will not be considered.
A complete submission package including the following documentation in PDF format:
- A completed Application Form (available for download below).
- Artist, band, collective or studio headshot that can be included in promotional materials.
- Proof of proper permissions or licensing as required.
Reserved Rights of the City of Brampton
The Artist will retain all right, title, and interest, including moral rights, to the submitted work. The Artist will provide to the City a broad irrevocable, paid-up, royalty-free, and otherwise cost-free license to use, publish, reproduce, adapt, exhibit, copy, and create derivative works for the submitted works, including the right to modify the size of the work submitted with respect to this opportunity.
The Artist understands that the City will keep any documents of any type, including images, submitted by the Artist in accordance with its record-keeping obligations as required by applicable statutes, regulations, and by-laws. The Artist represents and warrants that the Artist is the exclusive owner of the rights conveyed to the City and that the Artist has full power and authority to license the submitted work.
- The Artist warrants and represents that the submitted work is original to the Artist and does not violate any intellectual property rights of any other person or entity contrary to the Copyright Act or otherwise provided at law.
Application Accessibility Support
Applicants who require additional resources, assistance or time to apply are welcome to request as such. Please request this assistance at least one week in advance of the submission deadline. To do so, or for additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
For additional information or questions, please contact: Katy Belshaw, Programming Coordinator, Brampton Arts Organization, email@example.com
Download PIXEL Application Form