Get ready Brampton, because we’re heading back to NXNE this summer!
We’re looking for a Concert Curator to get us there. Is that you?
The Brampton Arts Organization (BAO) is bringing the 'This is Brampton' showcase back to the North by Northeast (NXNE) Music Festival. We've partnered with Performing Arts Brampton and we need a Concert Curator to help put on the best show possible.
- Are you a local concert promoter?
- Do you have experience curating festivals and events?
- Do you know what's rising in the Brampton music scene?
This summer for one evening between June 13-17, 2023, the Brampton Arts Organization and Performing Arts Brampton will take over an entire venue in downtown Toronto during NXNE. There, we'll showcase a specially curated program of the very best and hottest Brampton musical talent. The showcase will consist of 3-5 individual bands and/or artists and kick off at 9PM. The NXNE signature format -- new act at the top of every hour -- will be in force.
Curatorial proposals must contain a minimum of 3 performers, plus an Emcee.
Learn all the details below and apply by March 29, 2023.
Submit your Application Now
Date: To be confirmed, between June 13-17, 2023
Location and Venue: To be confirmed, downtown Toronto
NXNE Administrative support and venue rental, AV and technical support, staging, marketing and communications planning and programming support, and performer fees.
Resources not provided: backline, transportation, accommodation, catering services.
Curator Fee: $2500.00 for all associated planning, day of coordination, support creation and sharing of marketing assets. The curator will enter into a contract with the City of Brampton for their participation in this event.
Artist Fees: Up to $4000.00 for all artist fees and any associated event costs. Curator will determine how this budget is utilized. Each individual artist will enter into a contract with the City of Brampton for their participation in this event.
- Have demonstrated experience and success in concert and event planning.
- Develop a concert that includes a minimum of 3 performers each performing for a 40-minute set (plus an emcee).
- Both curator and the majority of their selected performers must demonstrate a strong connection to Brampton and the Peel Region and interest in celebrating and showcasing Brampton performers, producers, curators and promoters.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the NXNE festival and the unique opportunity this showcase represents.
- Consider public safety and all performances must be able to be safely performed in an indoor venue.
- Note: Curators are permitted to include themselves as a performer in their own presentations.
As part of the scope of the role, Applicants will be required to:
- Adhere to all guidelines and timelines outlined in this document.
- Ensure that all performance details are confirmed no later than two (2) weeks prior to the event.
- Respond to all inquiries from the Brampton Arts Organization and Performing Arts Brampton staff in a timely manner.
- Provide a work back schedule and budget pre-concert, followed by a close out report, including the curator’s marketing efforts.
- Attend regular check in meetings with City staff for progress updates.
- Demonstrate a commitment to audience development and high-quality artistic expression and performance- this includes developing and executing a marketing plan, as well as re-sharing marketing material created by the City.
- To submit a final report detailing the impact and use of funds received, including documentation of invoices and receipts. The report must be returned to the Brampton Arts Organization and Performing Arts Brampton staff no later than June 30, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
Important Timeline Information
Curators must submit the material outlined below on the applicable timeline.
Ten (10) Weeks Prior to Event
- Notify City of Brampton of all artists participating in event
- Submit concert information, including:
- Short show description (100 words max.)
- Artist info:
- Short biography for social media (50 words max.)
- Long biography for website (200 words max.)
- Pronouns for each artist
- 2-3 High resolution photos per artist:
- 300 DPI min.
- All photography rights owned by artist(s)
- Photographer credit, as applicable
- Links to social handles; specific content to be re-shared
- Links to previous performances
Eight (8) Weeks Prior to Event
- Detailed budget of how fees provided by the City of Brampton will be used, including:
- Breakdown of artist fees
- Backline costs
- Meal/hospitality costs
- Insurance costs
- Miscellaneous costs
- Stage plot for each performer/group
- Input lists for each performer/group
- Technical riders, as applicable
Four (4) Weeks Prior to Event
- Sound check schedule
- Show run schedule
- Any updates or changes to budget
Two (2) Weeks Prior to Event
- All performance details must be confirmed no later than two (2) weeks prior to the event.
- Curators must obtain general liability insurance at their own expense by providing proof of insurance coverage from a recognized insurance provider on the City template with:
- $5 million general liability insurance
- Name “The City of Brampton” as an additional insured
- Cover the full duration that artists are onsite
Curators must submit proof of insurance to the City of Brampton a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to the start of the event.
The City of Brampton will develop and execute a tailored marketing plan for the event once a curator has been selected, including the creation of a set of marketing assets. Promotion may include print, radio, digital out-of-home, social media, and email marketing strategies to reach as wide an audience as possible.
The curator is also expected to develop and execute their own marketing plan. The curator may also choose to develop social media assets, video content, etc. The curator should communicate their plan to City staff to ensure that efforts are not being duplicated and to achieve as wide a reach as possible.
The City will provide the Curator with the opportunity to review marketing materials and share with artists, as applicable, prior to public use. The City retains the right to make all final decisions about marketing materials.
Marketing materials will be provided to the Curator approximately four (4) weeks prior to the event with the expectation that they will be shared with the artists, so that the City, Curators, and artists will all contribute to promoting the event.
The City of Brampton requests that Curators ask their artists to film a video clip and/or participate in an Artist Spotlight, no later than four (4) weeks prior to the event. This will provide more opportunities to promote the event on social media. The marketing team will provide further details once the curator is selected.
A proposal will be chosen based on artistic merit, impact, and viability as expressed in the proposal. The City retains the right to approve all final decisions about the lineup.
Priority will be given to applicants from (or that center performances by) equity-deserving groups, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Trans, Nonbinary, Queer, Disabled and intersections of those identities.
Performances should not be disrespectful or anti- other culture, political or religious views, creed, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, language, national or social origin, property, birth or other status such as disability, age, marital and family status, health status, place of residence, economic and social situation. Performances should be void of any political or religious views.
Michael Hollett, NXNE Founder and President
Shade Waheed, Creator and Curator, Off the Record
Performing Arts Brampton Staff
Brampton Arts Organization Staff
The City of Brampton values diversity and inclusiveness, and recognizes that enhancing access to goods and services provides increased opportunities for people of all ages and abilities. We are committed to offering an accessible, safe, and comfortable experience for all. Please let us know if you have questions about accessibility, or if you would like to request accommodations. Alternate formats are available upon request, please email Sarah.Forestieri@brampton.ca or complete the Alternate Format Request form to submit your request. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The personal information on this form is collected pursuant to the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25 for the purpose of executing curatorial programming. Review the City’s Privacy Statement for more information. For questions about the collection of personal information, contact Taylor.Shannon@brampton.ca or 905.874.2013.
For additional information or questions, please contact:
Sarah Forestieri, Artistic Programming Associate
Performing Arts Brampton – firstname.lastname@example.org
About Performing Arts Brampton
Our vision is to build an inspiring performing arts community that reflects the spirit and diversity of Brampton. Operating four outstanding venues, we support over 550 presentations throughout the city each year. Together with local artists and audiences, we believe performing arts are essential to everyday life.
Performing Arts Brampton
About Brampton Arts Organization (BAO)
The Brampton Arts Organization champions Brampton's diverse creative community and advocates for the city's creatives. BAO aims to build a thriving, confident, and valued creative scene and cultural ecology in the heart of Brampton. In this, the Brampton Arts Organization is a key partner in fulfilling the City’s strategic vision and Culture Master Plan.
About the NXNE Music Festival
North by Northeast (NXNE) is a discovery music Festival focusing on promoting emerging musician, supporting Toronto’s amazing live music venues and, connecting audiences with new acts they need to hear. NXNE has been discovering and presenting new music and new ideas since 1995. Over 200,000 attend the Festival every June in Toronto — except recently. The Festival presents top curated, emerging artists from Canada around the world in ideal showcase settings.
We will present showcase gigs at Toronto’s best live music venues from June 13 -17, 2023.
NXNE is again soliciting emerging artists from across Canada and around the world with an emphasis on promoting Canadian talent.